RE: [TR] Which distributor?

To: "Jim Wallace" <grandfatherjim@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Which distributor?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 11:28:15 -0700
> I believe the TR3a and TR4a distributors are different. This
> being the case,
> adn since I have one of each, which should I use on my TR3a
> engine which now
> has 87.2 mm pistons?

I don't know, but I do know that, as old and worn as these distributors are
now, and as sloppy as they were new, which one works best now has almost
nothing to do with the original specifications.  So my advice is to try them
both and see which one works best for you.

> I guess my question is, what do the distributor specs primarily
> deal with -
> is it the cam lift/duration, compression ratio, or something
> else? I bet the
> answer is really "everything",

This article might help ... or not.
http://www.jcna.com/library/tech/tech0013.html

Once you've digested that, the same author has another good article at
http://www.telusplanet.net/~chichm/tech/lucastuning.pdf

He's also written an interesting article on using a Hitachi dizzy from the
junkyard for an electronic conversion, but the link I have doesn't seem to
work.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org