Re: [TR] basic TR3 fuel pump questions

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] basic TR3 fuel pump questions
From: Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 07:23:06 -0700
kinderlehrer@comcast.net wrote:

>... Disconnect the fuel line before the pump.  Gas should flow out - unless
>you are on a steep hill. If none does, open the filler cap. If still no gas,
>you probably have a blockage in the line.

Paul -- A possibly easier way to do this test would be to loosen the
glass bowl and see if fuel leaks out, but...

1.  3 Gallons might not be enough to put the tank level above the fuel
pump so a 'no gas' result may be inconclusive.

2.  I have never heard that the pump from the 6-cylionder engine would
work on a 4-cylinder.  Mebbe so but the fact that it bolts up okay isn't
everything, that lever from the pump has to engage lobe properly.

3.  Sounds like the pump you have has a priming lever?  In which case it
is most likely old and thus may be in need of a fresh diaphragm.

Geo