Re: [TR] TR4 Air control

To: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Air control
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:38:11 -0400
At 01:38 PM 9/10/2006, you wrote:
>Good Afternoon,
>
>I need to know which side of the air control unit the rubber seal goes. Does
>it go agains the outside (on the end where the air control valve goes to the
>dash proper) or the end where it attaches to the body?

Hi Bob,

If I understand your question, the rubber seal goes around the air control
"neck" which presses against the hole in the tub (under the dash).  IOW, if
you hold the air control assembly in your hand, the rubber seal should  be
attached to the rear of the assembly, so it forms a "snug" fit against the
hole in the tub.

>I am guessing the felt seal goes against the dash end and the rubber seal
>goes
>against the body .
>
>Also the felt pads on the air control valve. I thought 1 went on the inside
>and one on the outside. WHich is which? There are 2 different felt pads, one
>almost rectangular and one with a slight curve (oval). The oval goes on the
>bottom, the rectangle on the top, but inside or outside?

Tnx for asking this question.  I just realized I rebuilt mine
bassackwards.  The felt *should* be mounted so that it helps form the seal
when the air valve is closed.  You'll notice there's a slight lip inside
the "throat" of the housing.  The felt should seal against that when the
flapper is closed.  Mine currently works the other way.  Damn!

hth.  Now I get to redo *another* assembly :-\

Jim

--
Jim Hassall
Blacksburg  VA