[TR] ASAP fuel pump

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] ASAP fuel pump
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 12:42:23 -0400
I am indeed perplexed with my fuel pumps.  They all come from TR3s so I am
satisfied that their the proper pump.  The problem is when I bolt one up to
the engine the lever arm (meant for hand priming fuel) becomes RIGID.  If I
unbolt the two studs and pull the fuel pump about = away from touching the
block the lever can be activated and if the glass is on, it manually pumps
fuel by squeezing the lever.  Over-concerned that I might ruin something, I
did not crank it with the battery, although I was able to turn the engine
over by hand.

            In fact, the last time I cranked it I stood directly over the
fuel pump with it bolted back in place correctly, I did so with a weak
battery and all the spark plugs removed. This resulted in a weak spin, but
NO unusual knock.  Also, despite the engines TDC location, the hand priming
lever remains rigid, AND, despite the 15seconds of weak spinning NO fuel was
pumped (even though the glass was sealed in place and all lines connected
causing the glass bowl to be FULL).

            I scratched my head and loosen the fuel pump from the block,
with it a out 1/8 the hand-lever can again move slightly.  I take it out
and inspect it and ALL looks fine with no new tell-tale rubbing marks
anywhere on the rocker arm.  The rocker arm is also angled like my other old
fuel pumps.

            Ready to throw caution to the wind, at this point what I am
gonna do, unless I hear back from someone on the list suggesting otherwise
is,  reconnect everything, crank it again with the plugs out, then if no
knocking is heard, I will fill the SU fuel reservoirs with gas and run the
motor.  Hopefully, it wasnt a problem to begin with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

            Thanks, Paul Dorsey