RE: [TR] GL5 in a Spitfire diff?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] GL5 in a Spitfire diff?
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 21:51:37 -0400
On 29 Sep 2006 at 17:22, Randall wrote:

> What I know of the [GL5] problem is very tangled, Jim.

Thanks to Joe C for his reply and to Randall Y for the highly
informative explanation.  I've just been looking over the Valvoline
website.  I assume you (Randall) are using Valvoline SynPower, which
seems to be their synthetic gear oil.  In fact, I had picked up
Valvoline's "High Performance Gear Oil" which is rated as GL5, MT-1.
I recall seeing SynPower on the shelf at the local AutoZone, along
with a bunch of other options.  One thing I had noticed about some of
the choices was a wider viscosity rating, 75-90 instead of 80-90, and
in some cases numbers more like 70-140 (or whatever, which I really
don't remember).  I remember thinking that the more liberal numbers
might be optimistic, perhaps the product of a marketing department,
or that that oil might not age so well.  It seemed prudent to go with
something listed as more conservative, which is why I ended up
avoiding the synthetic options.  From your explanation it looks like
what I have should be fine.  Anyway, at Ted Schumacher's suggestion I
had a drain plug installed in the bottom of the pumpkin so it will be
easy to drain and refill.  Don't want to have to pull a diff again if
I don't have too!

Thanks again,

--
Jim Muller