Re: [TR] Radiator ragged

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Radiator ragged
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 21:51:27 EDT
In a message dated 9/29/2006 9:37:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:

Being desperate and
gullible, I let the man talk me into making it  as good as it was before
despite the 60 model original radiator needed  5-6 front rows (complete with
leaks) pinched off and soldered.
...Then I  learned that he had worked, half the night on it.  Regrettably,
paid him.  Ill now have to bite my lip and install the thing  that
doubtfully will do the job.  He did guarantee it for 6  months....

==AM==
If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the "crusty old guy"! Sounds
like he knows his stuff.

No offense to anyone, but a number of people replace old, leaky, clogged
radiators with fancy, exotic, brand-new ones...and are amazed at the
difference
in performance. duh. Odds are that a "brand-new" (or, in your case,  one made
"as good as new") radiator will perform just as well about 99.44% of  the time.

I went through something similar to this many, many years ago after
inheriting a 1951 Chevrolet. The radiator developed problems, and I took it
out and
brought it to one of those "crusty old man"-operated radiator shops.  I'm sure
he and I both could've been happy enough with a complete recore or a  complete
new radiator. But he disassembled, cleaned, rodded, reassembled and  tested
the original radiator, gave it back to me, charged me very little  (maybe
$30-35 bucks), and it was essentially "good as new"!

I won't argue the fact that folks in much warmer parts of the world (like
much of California or the Southwest US, as compared to upstate NY) may
sometimes need a slight bit more cooling power than was originally provided.
But
then, Triumph did come up with the "tropical fan" for the TR motor.  ;-)

Give your renovated radiator and your "crusty old man" a fair chance  here!

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a  jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your,  er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines  Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North  American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and
Triumph Herald Database at its  new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)

===     http://www.vtr.org