[TR] Timing chain - update!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Timing chain - update!
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:31:34 -0400 (EDT)
OK folks,

At the request of a couple of list members, I didn't try the breaker
bar/starter button method of loosening the dog bolt.
As suggested, a dozen or so whacks with a big sledge hammer on the breaker bar
done the trick.

The cover is now off and I'm left looking at the timing chain itself.  Woo-hoo!

List members who predicted the tensioner would be broke win the prize - it was
in two pieces.

Here's what is holding up progress:
The Woodruff key is quite happy where it is in the crankshaft and does not want
to move.  Can I just leave it in place or will it interfer with the
installation of the new oil seal.  Moss apparently sells new keys but are they
OK?

Also, I'm having difficulty understanding Haynes when it comes to assessing if
the chain is too worn:  "putting a straight edge across the sprockets and if
the maximum gap between the straight edge and the chain exceeds 0.4 inch when
the chain is pulled away from the straight edge the chain must be renewed".

If I push the chain (on the tight side of the sprocket - right hand side)
inwards, the gap is approx 7/16 to 1/2".  Is this what they are on about?.

A new chain only costs $10 but I'm somewhat reluctant to pull off the cogs to
install the chain- I know I will get the timing totally screwed up.

Any advice much appreciated as usual!   Adrian TS 58324

===     http://www.vtr.org