Re: [TR] Timing chain - update!

To: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Timing chain - update!
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:50:28 -0400
On Saturday 30 September 2006 02:31 pm, Adrian Jones wrote:
> OK folks,
>
> At the request of a couple of list members, I didn't try the breaker
> bar/starter button method of loosening the dog bolt. As suggested, a dozen
> or so whacks with a big sledge hammer on the breaker bar done the trick.

Good news!

> The cover is now off and I'm left looking at the timing chain itself.
> Woo-hoo!
>
> List members who predicted the tensioner would be broke win the prize - it
> was in two pieces.
>
> Here's what is holding up progress:
> The Woodruff key is quite happy where it is in the crankshaft and does not
> want to move.  Can I just leave it in place or will it interfer with the
> installation of the new oil seal.  Moss apparently sells new keys but are
> they OK?

Should not be a problem. It is better that the key is in place, makes getting
the thing back together easier.

> Also, I'm having difficulty understanding Haynes when it comes to assessing
> if the chain is too worn:  "putting a straight edge across the sprockets
> and if the maximum gap between the straight edge and the chain exceeds 0.4
> inch when the chain is pulled away from the straight edge the chain must be
> renewed".
>
> If I push the chain (on the tight side of the sprocket - right hand side)
> inwards, the gap is approx 7/16 to 1/2".  Is this what they are on about?.
>
> A new chain only costs $10 but I'm somewhat reluctant to pull off the cogs
> to install the chain- I know I will get the timing totally screwed up.

A new chain is easy to install. Just make sure you can see the punch mark and
the scroll and note their positions, how they line up. Take a digital photo
for reference.

> Any advice much appreciated as usual!   Adrian TS 58324

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org