Re: [TR] TR2,3,4 thermostats

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR2,3,4 thermostats
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:30:40 -0800
Randall wrote:
> In tests carried out on my own TR3A, I've not been able to measure the
> effect on cooling caused by the presence or lack of a skirt.

of course the primary reason for having the radiator bypass in the first
place was to minimize head cracking due to thermal differentials and
rapid thermal changes.  A common fix on TR3s is to put a partial plug in
the bypass line that restricts but not eliminate flow.

> The world's carmakers seem to
> agree, since Triumph was one of the last to quit using the bellows type.

Land Rover used it through the 1970's then redesigned their thermostat
housing reducing the bypass opening at about 1/8th inch dia.

> YMMV, of course.

Doesn't it always?  ;)

TeriAnn

===     http://www.vtr.org