RE: [TR] TR2,3,4 thermostats

To: "'Triumph list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR2,3,4 thermostats
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 06:02:54 -0800
> Randall, The statement was made as if it was factual as it relates to the
> TRactor engines and I wanted to know the origin of the facts. While it may
> be self evident and the argument that it is appears strong, is there factual
> evidence somewhere that the by pass and sleeved thermostat were designed for
> the "facts" stated?

Jerry, I guess I don't understand your point.  The TRactor motor very likely had
a thermostat bypass because _all_ water-cooled engines with water thermostats
have thermostat bypasses (both before and after the TRactor motor) ... it
certainly wasn't designed totally from scratch but instead relied on proven
design elements (as all engineering does).  That does not keep it from being
true that the reason a bypass is necessary is to prevent hot spots and the
damage they can cause.

And no one AFAIK is trying to claim that the sleeved thermostat has anything to
do with hot spots.  The theory behind the sleeve is that once you have a bypass,
you need to close it off when the thermostat is open, to force all of the water
to go through the radiator.  Again this is a design element that I feel
confident the Standard engineers copied from other successful engines.  Later it
was noticed (by other companies/engineers first, no doubt) that the sleeve cost
money and was not an absolute necessity; thus could be eliminated to reduce
costs.  There was actually a lot of that around 1960, when S-T was taken over by
Leyland, and several other areas were modified to reduce costs (like the fuel
tap eliminated and the door hinges changed from brass to sheet metal).

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org