Re: [TR] TR3a upper control arms

To: grandfatherjim@gmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3a upper control arms
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:44:01 EST
In a message dated 1/26/2007 8:45:45 AM Central Standard Time,
grandfatherjim@gmail.com writes:
> I am suspicious that my shock towers are not perfectly aligned
> anymore...the
> round tube that goes between them, and passes in front of the rad, was very,
> very, difficult to bolt in place. The three holes in one end and the three
> holes in the other end seem to be "rotated" relative to each other. (I have
> another tube which bolts up equally badly so I don't think it's the tube.)
> So I think I may have alignment problems when the car finally hits the
> street, hopefully this summer.

A little sag is normal in these cars.  When I first got my TR4 it didn't have
a bar at all.  The local shop wouldn't inspect it without it.  I got a bar
from a long time TR guy who told me to jack the car up by the main cross member
when installing the bar.  That will cause any sagging to cancel out and the
bar will fit right.  Then he told me of someone found his bar didn't fit so he
cut the bar and welded it back up a bit shorter to compensate.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org