[TR] TR4A missing AGAIN!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR4A missing AGAIN!
From: Chris Buckley <chris.buckley51@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 05:13:06 +0100 (BST)
Dear long suffering Listers,
  We just arrived back from the Nairobi Concours proudly carrying 3 prizes,
none of which was for firing on 4 cylinders....
  After about 10miles from home the trouble started and we ended up driving the
whole way firing on 3. (No 2 was not firing, very wet with unburnt fuel but No
1 plug looked right).
  When in Nairobi I had the help of 2 competent enthusiasts and we
replaced:plugs, points, condenser, plug leads, dizzy cap and were getting a
strong spark. We also checked float levels, diaphragms, operation and
adjustment of carbs, made sure no air leaks between carbs and manifold,
adequate fuel supply and still no luck. We also checked the tension of valve
springs.
  By the time I left we had discovered that by blocking off 80% of the air
inlet of the front carb, the engine would run nicely (on 4 cylinders) above
2000rpm (like a dog below 2000). This is how we got home (using duct tape over
80% of intake).
  I have now checked the compression again and 1 and 2 are about 8% higher than
3 and 4. All 4 plugs look as though burning correctly.
  I am sure the secret is in the "muffling" of the carb intake but am at my
wits end.
  Any ideas or is it time to remove the head?
  TIA,
  Chris Buckley