[TR] GPS Navigator

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, dphenry@wpia.net
Subject: [TR] GPS Navigator
From: Brian Jones <banc8004@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 05:34:27 -0400
I'm on my fourth GPS. From a very basic hand held that could not route
(but still useful) I stepped up to a Garmin that needed routes and
maps to be loaded from a laptop. This becomes tedious and inflexible
very quickly.
I then bought my wife a top of range Tom Tom 910. It does everything
but a neck massage, yet we use nothing but navigation. It is over-
adorned with features (phone, music, even pictures, I think). Its
overkill.

Earlier this year, I bought a mid-range device (TomTom One with
voice). It does navigation very well. I can hear directions clearly in
an open car. Garmin and others have equivalent units.

My recommendation: don't be persuaded by blue tooth features etc. Get
a mid-range unit from one of the bigger suppliers like Tom Tom or
Garmin that just navigates with voice....(not all do, there is a Tom
Tom One without voice).

In the convenience of these self-contained units, you lose some
specificity of route that you had with the lap-top-hookup units, where
you could just easily drag a route to avoid a congested area or
something, and you'd have more route data (miles, timing on multi-leg
routes). I found it an easy trade.

Cheers,

Brian

http://www.vtr.org