Re: [TR] tr nos vs. repros.

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] tr nos vs. repros.
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:10:35 -0800
> hello, how does one go about telling the difference between nos and
> reproductions?

Perhaps a more important question is why.  The original parts were not
particularly high quality anyway; defective new parts were even more a fact
of life in the 50s, 60s and 70s than they are today, since many of the
implied warranty laws had not yet been passed.  And 40-50 years of storage
is not going to improve the parts any.

In some cases, there is a good reason the part was left on the shelf.  I've
seen more than one that on close examination showed the scars from having
been installed and promptly removed, apparently because a defect was found.

I see people buying NOS brake seals, and have to wonder what they plan to do
with them.  NOS is fine for a car that will only be driven on and off a
trailer (or not at all); but it's not something I would want to trust my
life with.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net