Re: [TR] TR3 tires 6" rims

To: pthatch@pacbell.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 tires 6" rims
From: KingsCreekTrees@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 18:23:22 EDT
Hi Pete;

I'm not sure if this helps, but I fitted TR6-type painted wire wheels to my
 TR3A that was built in October 1957. I don't know what the offset of the
wheels  are, but I think they are 5.5-inches wide, as per original TR6.

I did a load of research on tyre sizes at the time. Interestingly, I found
the greatest volume of information from the Australian TR Register guys.

Anyway, I ended up fitting 195/65-15 tyres, which I believe may have been
an original fitment to some TR6's (sorry if I'm wrong, TR6 guys). On my car,
 there is no tyre interference even over bumps, except that on absolute
full turn  there's a little bit of rub. It's no problem, though. The results of
my  extensive research showed that, when fitting wider-than-standard tyres
to  sidescreen TR's, it's a case of luck of the draw because no two cars are
built  exactly the same. Some guys have a bit of interference with this
size, but most  do not. I even had an e-mail from a TR3A racer in Australia who
has 205/60-15's  on his road car (no suspension modifications) and he has
no interference  problems. I did communicate with some other guys who had
attempted to fit the  same size tyre, though, and had some problems. The
favourite seemed to be the  195/65-15's, however, if you really want the
maximum
amount of rubber on the  road (as I did), with the minimum risk of
interference.

I hope that helps and I'm sorry I can't give any solid information on
offset, etc.

Tim

Tim Dyer,  Proprietor
Kings Creek Trees and Ornamentals
427 Kings Creek Road,  RR3
Ashton, Ontario, K0A 1B0, Canada
Phone/fax: 613 253 4126 Website: _www.kingscreektrees.com_
(http://www.kingscreektrees.com/)

Proud  member of Landscape Ontario (the Ontario association of Green
Industry  professionals) and the Canadian Nursery Landscape  Association

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net