Re: [TR] Identifying Spitfire Cylinder head # TKC 2748( Now another

To: spitlist@cox.net, pethier@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Identifying Spitfire Cylinder head # TKC 2748( Now another
From: dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:00:52 -0400
I understood that.  What I am saying is that perhaps the restrictions were
only for cars manufactured in the US.  I don't think it applied to trucks
until later.

My recollection is that the standards set upon the vehicle manufacturers was
stated in Grams per Mile rather than in % or PPM (parts per Million).  That
means that larger vehicles with larger engines had a more difficult time
meeting the standards and the auto makers resorted to Catalytic converters for
those cars earlier than was necessary on smaller cars.  Trucks were required
to meet a different, less stringent standard, a loophole exploited by Chrysler
when they brought out with their Little Red Truck that was bought by commuters
but was treated like a commercial vehicle emissions-wise.  Congress closed
that loophole and all small trucks are treated the same as passenger
vehicles.

Dave

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html