[TR] Oil sump Gasket Sealant

To: "'triumph list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Oil sump Gasket Sealant
From: "D&B Lambert" <blambert@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 19:40:48 -0700
All,
I've just spent a very unpleasant hour or so under my TR3A removing, with
only moderate success, the remains of the oil pan gasket.  I dropped the pan
to inspect the bearings after experiencing the sudden loss of oil pressure
(I know the cause, and it has been repaired, but that's another story.)  The
pan was installed using the standard gasket which was coated on both sides
with Aviation Form-A-Gasket.  As far as I can tell the pan gasket never
leaked, but removing the gasket and sealer from both the block and the pan
is a real booger.  I've searched the archives and see plenty of
recommendations for sealants that seal plenty fine, but not much info on how
the removal goes after a period of time.  Is there indeed a gasket sealant
that does the job of sealing, but can be removed with a reasonable amount of
effort some time later?
Thank you, Dennis

triumphs@autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html