Re: [TR] Oil sump Gasket Sealant

To: "'triumph list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Oil sump Gasket Sealant
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 03:50:44 -0700
> Is there indeed a
> gasket sealant
> that does the job of sealing, but can be removed with a
> reasonable amount of
> effort some time later?

That is exactly my objection to Aviation Form-A-Gasket; and one of the
reasons I like Hylomar so much.  It will come off easily even decades after
being applied; while as you've discovered, classic "non hardening" Permatex
gets hard as a rock over time.

BTW, Loctite 'Chisel Gasket Remover' will slowly soften the Form-A-Gasket.
It makes the job a little easier, but no faster because you have to spray it
on, wait for it to soften the surface layer, then scrape away the softened
gasket/sealer and repeat for the next layer.

-- Randall

triumphs@autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive