[TR] Grilling brake shoes - TR2

To: list Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Grilling brake shoes - TR2
From: Chris Simo <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 23:05:33 -0400
--===============1613620760==

--20cf307f38083fcacf04a4b1ea4b

When I was young - maybe 14 years old.  A buddy and I were trying to figure
out how to stop the front wheel of the TR2 from locking up before the other
one.....  Lou's request earlier this week reminded me of how stupid I was in
my youth.
.
So we lubricated it with engine oil.....   Well the other one started
locking up so we lubricated that one.... and then, well - neither one locked
up  and we quit driving the car  (since we were already driving illegally).
 My great uncle - original owner of the car, came to visit a few weeks later
and I didn't dare tell him what we did.  He realized the pads were
contaminated and assumed it was wheel bearing grease.   He replaced the
seals and greased the wheel bearings and took the brake pads out back and
started a charcoal fire in the BBQ grill.   after it had burnt down - he put
the grill rack far above the coals and popped all four pads on the grill.
 Almost immediately the bads began to give up little beads of sweat (oil)
and my uncle would wipe them off with a paper towel.  They did that for
about 15 minutes ( heck that long ago I can't really say) and started to
smoke.  At that point he walked away and we came back the next morning - the
pads were intact and black - he took some 80 grit sandpaper and sanded down
the pads and they looked pretty much like new. And I drove with them for the
next 4 years.... Did I say he was a former army air corps Airplane
mechanic....

Now the question - just how safe was it to drive on those?

Just wondering - the same TR2 some 30 years later had the rear oil seals
fail and the back pads look like new - but obviously oil soaked.  Brake
cleaner only does so much.  I'm thinking about throwing these on the gas
grill as they are the same vintage as the front brake linings - and they are
NLA in the books.

Come to think of it - most of the braking comes from the front brakes- I
know those have been traumatized years ago - I guess I should go ahead and
get new ones since they are available and nothing is more important than the
ability to stop.....

Chris

54 TR2 long door - driving - well - 2 miles in 30 years... and those 2 miles
were on Monday!!!!!
63 TR4 - driving every chance I get and loving it

--20cf307f38083fcacf04a4b1ea4b

When I was young - maybe 14 years old. =A0A buddy and I were trying to figu=
re out how to stop the front wheel of the TR2 from locking up before the ot=
her one..... =A0Lou&#39;s request earlier this week reminded me of how stup=
id I was in my youth.<div>

.</div><div>So we lubricated it with engine oil..... =A0 Well the other one=
 started locking up so we lubricated that one.... and then, well - neither =
one locked up =A0and we quit driving the car =A0(since we were already driv=
ing illegally). =A0My great uncle - original owner of the car, came to visi=
t a few weeks later and I didn&#39;t dare tell him what we did. =A0He reali=
zed the pads were contaminated and assumed it was wheel bearing grease. =A0=
 He replaced the seals and greased the wheel bearings and took the brake pa=
ds out back and started a charcoal fire in the BBQ grill. =A0 after it had =
burnt down - he put the grill rack far above the coals and popped all four =
pads on the grill. =A0Almost=A0immediately=A0the bads began to give up litt=
le beads of sweat (oil) and my uncle would wipe them off with a paper towel=
. =A0They did that for about 15 minutes ( heck that long ago I can&#39;t re=
ally say) and started to smoke. =A0At that point he walked away and we came=
 back the next morning - the pads were intact and black - he took some 80 g=
rit sandpaper and sanded down the pads and they looked pretty much like new=
. And I drove with them for the next 4 years.... Did I say he was a former =
army air corps Airplane mechanic....</div>

ter had the rear oil seals fail and the back pads look like new - but obvio=
usly oil soaked. =A0Brake cleaner only does so much. =A0I&#39;m thinking ab=
out throwing these on the gas grill as they are the same vintage as the fro=
nt brake linings - and they are NLA in the books.=A0</div>

e front brakes- I know those have been traumatized years ago - I guess I sh=
ould go ahead and get new ones since they are available and nothing is more=
 important than the ability to stop.....</div>

ng - well - 2 miles in 30 years... and those 2 miles were on Monday!!!!!</d=

triumphs@autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums