Re: [TR] Panel switch - TR3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Panel switch - TR3
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 14:47:44 -0800
> It's hard to find a TR3 with a push-pull switch except for show cars;

There's one sitting in front of the Torrance, CA art museum right now (I
work next door and they don't mind if I park in their lot).  I've owned
several TR3/A and none of them were show cars or had the rheostat.

However, I do use the switch on dark roads at night, as my dash lights are
bright enough to limit night vision.  Part of that, of course, is that I
replaced all the original Lucas bulbs with new ones (many of the original
bulbs were totally black); and I've been slowly refurbishing the gauges with
transparent windows and white paint inside the case.  But they were bright
enough to make a difference even before that.

> Don't know if the push-pull switch will fit in the d-shaped hole, but
> if you find out, let us know.

The rheostat hole is larger (both sizes were D-shaped).  The switch can be
mounted in rheostat hole with the aid of a flat washer behind the panel, but
doesn't really fit right and tends to work loose.  The rheostat won't fit in
the switch hole (unless it is enlarged).

On a somewhat related topic, I recently added a short length of thin wall
brass tubing inside the speedometer, to keep the instrument light from
shining through the high beam indicator hole.  Now the hole is actually dark
with the low beams on, instead of just dim.

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive