Re: [TR] battery 101

To: 'healeys' <healeys@autox.team.net>, Simon Lachlan
Subject: Re: [TR] battery 101
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 17:44:47 -0800
> but I've been using a sub-$10 HF float charger on
> a 2002 BMW Z3 for better than three years now, and it works perfectly.

IMO those are fine for a battery that is already nearly fully charged.  I've
ruined several of them now, trying to recharge a battery that was deeply
discharged.  The electronics only limit voltage; the only current limit
seems to be the impedance of the "wall wart" transformer, and it will burn
up if overtaxed.

In one case, I installed a more powerful wall wart, and the little box with
the LED melted instead.

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html