Re: [TR] battery 101

To: TR3driver@ca.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TR] battery 101
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 08:26:35 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 2/5/2012 8:08:12 PM Central Standard Time,
TR3driver@ca.rr.com writes:
> IMO those are fine for a battery that is already nearly fully charged.
> I've
> ruined several of them now, trying to recharge a battery that was deeply
> discharged.  The electronics only limit voltage; the only current limit
> seems to be the impedance of the "wall wart" transformer, and it will burn
> up if overtaxed.
>
> In one case, I installed a more powerful wall wart, and the little box
> with
> the LED melted instead.

Depends on the model.  The two I bought were fitted with linear regulators.
 Both the one I bought from Horrible Freight which had a separate little
box for the electronics and the one I bought from Mouser which had the
regulator built into the wart.  The Mouser unit failed after about 5 years but
the
HF unit is still fat and happy.

Dave

** triumphs@autox.team.net **