Re: [TR] battery 101

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] battery 101
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 08:50:40 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 2/5/2012 1:14:22 PM Central Standard Time,
anncarletta@yahoo.com writes:
> I usually disconnect my battery every winter and of course have to charge
> it
> when I go to reconnect for the spring.  I haven't done it this year since
> I've
> been able to use the car, but I did need to use the starter fluid last
> week.
> Does a battery need to be dead before I charge it?

Actually, lead-acid batteries will last longer if kept fully charged.  They
do not exhibit a "memory" characteristic typical of the nickel-cadmium
style batteries so there is no reason to "cycle" them.  But the first question
is what kind of charger do you have?  If you have one of the new "Smart"
chargers just hook it up and leave it.  If you have a more traditional charger
(transformer and diode) you need to limit the time you leave the charger
hooked up or you will overcharge the battery and lead-acid batteries do not
tolerate that very well.

For a good read on batteries check out this technical manual from
Power-Sonic:
http://www.power-sonic.com/images/powersonic/technical/1277751263_20100627-T
echManual-Lo.pdf
or
http://tinyurl.com/7rnu8b2

I leave my battery hooked up all year and I have a radio that has a display
that is active all the time and it will make a serious dent in battery
charge in a month or so I keep a "smart" charger hooked up all the time.  It
will "float" the battery at 13.5 Volts or so which makes my battery very happy.
 And that makes me happy.

Dave

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html