[TR] Seeking TR2 to TR3 rear axle swap advice

To: list Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Seeking TR2 to TR3 rear axle swap advice
From: Chris Simo <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:48:00 -0500
Hi all -

Well,  I did not want to do it but I'm going to swap out the rear axle
- I pulled the pinion hub off to put a speedi sleeve and a renew the
seal and found my pinion was quite wobbly - so could be that both
pinion and bearings are shot. It was on the list for a future upgrade
- so it will happen sooner rather than later.

I have a TR3 rear with 9 inch drums that I will be transplanting - I'm
just now trying to figure out if it's a viable donor -  It does seem
to turn smoothly without noise by hand.

Request 1 - any tips on making sure the replacement unit is at least
ok?  I'm going to remove the pinion hub and replace the seal  - I
figure I'll also pull the cover off and clean everything up in side
and inspect for broken teeth. I hope it's not the 4.10 unit as I have
a 4 speed....

Request 2 - I just replaced all the hydraulics on the lockheed set up
- so I'm thinking of drilling the lockheed brakeplates with the
girling pattern and transferring the brake assemblies to the girling
unit - I have 9 inch lockheed brakes - so I'd be using the lockheed
guts with girling drums - anyone out there been there done that?

Request 3 - any other shared experiences with the swap would be
helpful.   Looks like I can reuse the new handbrake cables for sure.

Goal is to complete all the mechanics by the end of Feb and spend the
month of march on bodywork and paint job. All in time for a 300 mile
run to my car clubs spring Gathering in Dobson, NC.

Status update - TR4 transmission (with new layshaft) has been easily
swapped over (thanks Randall for the advice on elongating holes and
need for longer bolts);- new water pump; new thermostat (used my last
bellows t-stat); built 2 radiators into one; new bearings in
generator; new control box; new motor and transmission mounts; new
universal joints; gas tank flush; rebuilt fuel pump; speedi sleeve and
seal on timing cover; cleaned out oil pan; new master cylinder; new
slave cylinder; front suspension rebuild with poly bushes and delrin
silent blocs (thanks joe); I suspect over 5 lbs of crud has been
scraped from the chassis - Most of the paint was intact underneath the
crud. (Looks like dots of white paint on the frame at each motor
mount). Not much to go.

Mechanical to do - rear end; AMCO side curtain rebuild (replace -
plexiglass); AMCO side shield rebuild; wrap up disc brake conversion;
Find reasonably straight 4 1/2 inch rims to use instead of the 4 inch
I have...

Thanks!

Chris

** triumphs@autox.team.net **