Re: [TR] TR4 Investigating replacing the Armstrong lever shocks with tel

To: dave <dave@ranteer.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Investigating replacing the Armstrong lever shocks with telescopic rear shock conversions
From: Dave Connitt <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 19:28:21 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

--Apple-Mail-2611B865-2814-46B5-BF8D-B1A5C820B4E0
        charset=utf-8

That happened to my TR4A IRS twice and both times the passenger side shock a=
bsorber mounting bolts backed out. Red Locktite solved the problem.
Dave Connitt=20

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 6, 2020, at 7:13 PM, dave <dave@ranteer.com> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> DO NOT DO THE TUBE SHOCK CONVERSION
> =20
> Using a stiffer lever shock will get you the same place without the myriad=
 problems of a tube shock conversion.
> =20
> =20
> =20
ith telescopic rear shock conversions
> =20
> Will - I'm not as familiar with the solid axle of the TR4, so this may or m=
ay not be relevant to your situation. =20
>=20
> There are at least three styles of tube shock conversions for the TR6 and I=
 assume the 4A.  The one with three triangular brackets that go through the b=
ody (likely the one you looked at from Moss), A bracket that bolts to the bo=
dy with no frame attachment, and a single plate bracket that bolts to the le=
ver shock mount.
>=20
> Also watch for feedback on people that just get the lever shocks rebuilt w=
ith a heavy duty rebuild.  If I was starting over, that is probably what I w=
ould do.
>=20
> A sample of the three plate design at Moss is 670-128 - see https://mossmo=
tors.com/rear-tube-shock-conversion-kits - the Monroe shock version for the 4=
A is available.  They have an article at http://www.mossmotoring.com/tr6-tub=
e-shock-conversion/  It looks like a sturdy design, but takes significant ef=
fort to install.  Read the instructions from their website.
>=20
> I do not recommend the bracket that just bolts to the body without a frame=
 attachments.
>=20
> I used the single plate version because it was much easier, but this desig=
n leads to flexing of the frame cross member and cracking of the frame, incl=
uding mine.  See the 0091, 2217, and 2218 images attached of other people's c=
ars discovered at a local club tech clinic.  If you have this design, I reco=
mmend you check the frame cross member regularly.  If you have the rear spri=
ng out for any reason, run the trailing arm through its full range of motion=
 and you will probably see the top of the shock mount move front to rear.
>=20
> After having my frame cracks welded, I built a new version of the single p=
late design available from some vendors.  I extended the top mount for the s=
hock back about two inches and added two braces.  One is a length of 1" angl=
e iron that goes between the two shock mounts near the top of the bracket, j=
ust below the body to side to side stability.  The other is the more importa=
nt addition and goes from the top of the shock bracket rearward to the frame=
 at about a 45 deg angle.  This one stops any front to rear motion of the sh=
ock bracket.  Unfortunately the car isn't easily accessible right now and I c=
an't find my pictures.
>=20
> Below is an item I wrote 20 years ago or so.  The 5-6025 kit is the single=
 plate design that in my opinion needs at least the added bracket from the t=
op of the shock mount to the frame.
>=20
>=20
> Tube Shock Conversion Notes
>=20
> Notes on my TR6 tube shock conversion:
> > Would like to know if anybody on the list has any knowledge or experienc=
e with
> > the shock conversion kit that v.b. sells as part #  5-6025. It is listed=
 on
> > page 11 in the summer catalog.......
>=20
> I put similar brackets on my car.  They are the easiest design to fit, tak=
ing about 30 minutes to install.  I purchased my brackets from someone who m=
ade them for his car for $40.  I bought the shocks from Pep Boys for $12.95 e=
ach.  The VB shocks must be pretty good to command the $189 price tag.  My d=
riving can often be aggressive, especially at autocross events (2nd place in=
 class at the Moss festival and first overall at Triumphest in 1998).  The c=
heap shock seem to work fine for me in the rear, though I may just not know a=
ny better.  The PO put Koni's on the front.
>=20
> Installation made a tremendous improvement in my car, but that's because m=
y lever shocks were dead.  I've heard lots of good things about the heavy du=
ty rebuilds to the lever shocks.  Doing it again, I'd give this serious thou=
ght.
>=20
> Disadvantages of this design:
> - When the car is in the air, the limit stop for the trailing arm travel i=
s the tube shock.  I had a shock fail after only a year (exchanged for free r=
eplacement).  I think the other one may also need replacement, as there's oi=
l on the tube.  This tension is transferred through the shock to the bracket=
, at a slight angle, torquing the frame cross member that holds the shocks a=
nd rear differential mounts.  I mention this because I just discovered sever=
al broken welds including both rear differential mounts and the crossemember=
 to frame connection near the right shock mount.  The car had the differenti=
al reinforcing brackets installed for the DPO.  I don't know if the shock co=
nversion caused this, but I think it aggravated the problem.  (Any comments o=
n this from others?)
>=20
> - You are limited in tire width to 205 series tires, which may rub the bra=
cket if you have lots of camber or weak springs.
>=20
> Safety considerations:
> - The Gabrial shocks I purchased only have a single nut on each end of the=
 shock. The guy I got the brackets through had a shock come undone.  Your sh=
ocks should be double nutted.  I used a nylocs because I had a box of them, b=
ut any nut should work.
>=20
> - Check the tires and brackets for rubbing.  I have a little bit on the ri=
ght side recently, but nothing I'm concerned about.  I can't see any indicat=
ion on the tire, just some rubber dust on the bracket.  I run 205/65 tires a=
nd will adjust the camber on the right tire.
>=20
> If your into welding, you can make your own brackets looking at the pictur=
e.  Drop me an e-mail and I'll look up the shock number again.  It's off 50'=
s Studebakers and Cadillacs if I remember correctly.
>=20
> The Moss kit is an effort to install.  It has three triangular brackets pe=
r side.  One to the standard shock mount, the second inside the body by the f=
uel tank, and the third in the wheel well area.  The first step in the instr=
uctions was to remove the fuel tank.
>=20
> I'd always avoid a shock that only bolts to the body.  The dampening force=
s need to go to the frame.
>=20
> Brian
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On 12/6/2020 8:34 AM, Will Daehler wrote:
> When going over bumps in my TR4 I have quite a rattle from the right rear a=
rea of my car.  I have poked around by the axle, and thought I have fixed th=
e problem a couple of times.  I have replaced the springs and refilled the A=
rmstrong shocks.  I have poked around. While looking through my Moss catalog=
 I noticed the kits for replacing the Armstrong shocks with these brackets t=
hat you could mount shock absorbers to. But the kits are NLS.  No Longer Sup=
plied.  I was wondering why the kits  were discontinued.  It could have been=
 that they caused damage to the frame, or just didn=E2=80=99t work.  I was h=
oping somebody had any first-hand knowledge or experience on this topic that=
 they could discuss. I wonder if the racing group all have custom and propri=
etary set ups.
t@fuse.net

--Apple-Mail-2611B865-2814-46B5-BF8D-B1A5C820B4E0
        charset=utf-8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">That happened to my TR4A IRS twice and both=
 times the passenger side shock absorber mounting bolts backed out. Red Lock=
, 2020, at 7:13 PM, dave &lt;dave@ranteer.com&gt; wrote:<br><br></blockquote=
"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3D"Gener=
ator" content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Consolas;
        panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
h2
        {mso-style-priority:9;
        mso-style-link:"Heading 2 Char";
        mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
        margin-right:0in;
        mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
        margin-left:0in;
        font-size:18.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        font-weight:bold;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
pre
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
        margin:0in;
        font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:"Courier New";}
span.Heading2Char
        {mso-style-name:"Heading 2 Char";
        mso-style-priority:9;
        mso-style-link:"Heading 2";
        font-family:"Calibri Light",sans-serif;
        color:#2F5496;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
        {mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
        mso-style-priority:99;
        mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
        font-family:Consolas;}
span.EmailStyle23
        {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--><div class=3D"WordSection1"><p class=3D"Ms=
oNormal">DO NOT DO THE TUBE SHOCK CONVERSION<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3D"MsoNo=
rmal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">Using a stiffer lever shoc=
k will get you the same place without the myriad problems of a tube shock co=
nversion.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=
=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p>=
igating replacing the Armstrong lever shocks with telescopic rear shock conv=
p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">Will - I'm not as familiar with the solid axle of t=
he TR4, so this may or may not be relevant to your situation.&nbsp; <br><br>=
There are at least three styles of tube shock conversions for the TR6 and I a=
ssume the 4A.&nbsp; The one with three triangular brackets that go through t=
he body (likely the one you looked at from Moss), A bracket that bolts to th=
e body with no frame attachment, and a single plate bracket that bolts to th=
e lever shock mount.<br><br>Also watch for feedback on people that just get t=
he lever shocks rebuilt with a heavy duty rebuild.&nbsp; If I was starting o=
ver, that is probably what I would do.<br><br>A sample of the three plate de=
sign at Moss is 670-128 - see <a href=3D"https://mossmotors.com/rear-tube-sh=
ock-conversion-kits">https://mossmotors.com/rear-tube-shock-conversion-kits<=
/a> - the Monroe shock version for the 4A is available.&nbsp; They have an a=
rticle at <a href=3D"http://www.mossmotoring.com/tr6-tube-shock-conversion/"=
>http://www.mossmotoring.com/tr6-tube-shock-conversion/</a>&nbsp; It looks l=
ike a sturdy design, but takes significant effort to install.&nbsp; Read the=
 instructions from their website.<br><br>I do not recommend the bracket that=
 just bolts to the body without a frame attachments.<br><br>I used the singl=
e plate version because it was much easier, but this design leads to flexing=
 of the frame cross member and cracking of the frame, including mine.&nbsp; S=
ee the 0091, 2217, and 2218 images attached of other people's cars discovere=
d at a local club tech clinic.&nbsp; If you have this design, I recommend yo=
u check the frame cross member regularly.&nbsp; If you have the rear spring o=
ut for any reason, run the trailing arm through its full range of motion and=
 you will probably see the top of the shock mount move front to rear.<br><br=
>After having my frame cracks welded, I built a new version of the single pl=
ate design available from some vendors.&nbsp; I extended the top mount for t=
he shock back about two inches and added two braces.&nbsp; One is a length o=
f 1" angle iron that goes between the two shock mounts near the top of the b=
racket, just below the body to side to side stability.&nbsp; The other is th=
e more important addition and goes from the top of the shock bracket rearwar=
d to the frame at about a 45 deg angle.&nbsp; This one stops any front to re=
ar motion of the shock bracket.&nbsp; Unfortunately the car isn't easily acc=
essible right now and I can't find my pictures.<br><br>Below is an item I wr=
ote 20 years ago or so.&nbsp; The 5-6025 kit is the single plate design that=
 in my opinion needs at least the added bracket from the top of the shock mo=
xt-align:center"><span style=3D"color:black">Tube Shock Conversion Notes<o:p=
></o:p></span></h2><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"color:black">Notes o=
n my TR6 tube shock conversion:</span> <o:p></o:p></p><p><span style=3D"colo=
r:black">&gt; Would like to know if anybody on the list has any knowledge or=
 experience with<br>&gt; the shock conversion kit that v.b. sells as part #&=
nbsp; 5-6025. It is listed on<br>&gt; page 11 in the summer catalog.......<o=
:p></o:p></span></p><p style=3D"normal;font-variant-caps: normal;orphans: 2;=
text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width:
      0px;text-decoration-thickness: initial;text-decoration-style:
      initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing:0px"><span style=3D=
"color:black">I put similar brackets on my car.&nbsp; They are the easiest d=
esign to fit, taking about 30 minutes to install.&nbsp; I purchased my brack=
ets from someone who made them for his car for $40.&nbsp; I bought the shock=
s from Pep Boys for $12.95 each.&nbsp; The VB shocks must be pretty good to c=
ommand the $189 price tag.&nbsp; My driving can often be aggressive, especia=
lly at autocross events (2nd place in class at the Moss festival and first o=
verall at Triumphest in 1998).&nbsp; The cheap shock seem to work fine for m=
e in the rear, though I may just not know any better.&nbsp; The PO put Koni'=
s on the front.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p style=3D"normal;font-variant-caps: n=
ormal;orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width:
      0px;text-decoration-thickness: initial;text-decoration-style:
      initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing:0px"><span style=3D=
"color:black">Installation made a tremendous improvement in my car, but that=
's because my lever shocks were dead.&nbsp; I've heard lots of good things a=
bout the heavy duty rebuilds to the lever shocks.&nbsp; Doing it again, I'd g=
ive this serious thought.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p style=3D"normal;font-varia=
nt-caps: normal;orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-wi=
dth:
      0px;text-decoration-thickness: initial;text-decoration-style:
      initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing:0px"><span style=3D=
"color:black">Disadvantages of this design:<br>- When the car is in the air,=
 the limit stop for the trailing arm travel is the tube shock.&nbsp; I had a=
 shock fail after only a year (exchanged for free replacement).&nbsp; I thin=
k the other one may also need replacement, as there's oil on the tube.&nbsp;=
 This tension is transferred through the shock to the bracket, at a slight a=
ngle, torquing the frame cross member that holds the shocks and rear differe=
ntial mounts.&nbsp; I mention this because I just discovered several broken w=
elds including both rear differential mounts and the crossemember to frame c=
onnection near the right shock mount.&nbsp; The car had the differential rei=
nforcing brackets installed for the DPO.&nbsp; I don't know if the shock con=
version caused this, but I think it aggravated the problem.&nbsp; (Any comme=
nts on this from others?)<o:p></o:p></span></p><p style=3D"normal;font-varia=
nt-caps: normal;orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-wi=
dth:
      0px;text-decoration-thickness: initial;text-decoration-style:
      initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing:0px"><span style=3D=
"color:black">- You are limited in tire width to 205 series tires, which may=
 rub the bracket if you have lots of camber or weak springs.<o:p></o:p></spa=
n></p><p style=3D"normal;font-variant-caps: normal;orphans: 2;text-align:sta=
rt;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width:
      0px;text-decoration-thickness: initial;text-decoration-style:
      initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing:0px"><span style=3D=
"color:black">Safety considerations:<br>- The Gabrial shocks I purchased onl=
y have a single nut on each end of the shock. The guy I got the brackets thr=
ough had a shock come undone.&nbsp; Your shocks should be double nutted.&nbs=
p; I used a nylocs because I had a box of them, but any nut should work.<o:p=
></o:p></span></p><p style=3D"normal;font-variant-caps: normal;orphans: 2;te=
xt-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width:
      0px;text-decoration-thickness: initial;text-decoration-style:
      initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing:0px"><span style=3D=
"color:black">- Check the tires and brackets for rubbing.&nbsp; I have a lit=
tle bit on the right side recently, but nothing I'm concerned about.&nbsp; I=
 can't see any indication on the tire, just some rubber dust on the bracket.=
&nbsp; I run 205/65 tires and will adjust the camber on the right tire.<o:p>=
</o:p></span></p><p style=3D"normal;font-variant-caps: normal;orphans: 2;tex=
t-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width:
      0px;text-decoration-thickness: initial;text-decoration-style:
      initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing:0px"><span style=3D=
"color:black">If your into welding, you can make your own brackets looking a=
t the picture.&nbsp; Drop me an e-mail and I'll look up the shock number aga=
in.&nbsp; It's off 50's Studebakers and Cadillacs if I remember correctly.<o=
:p></o:p></span></p><p style=3D"normal;font-variant-caps: normal;orphans: 2;=
text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width:
      0px;text-decoration-thickness: initial;text-decoration-style:
      initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing:0px"><span style=3D=
"color:black">The Moss kit is an effort to install.&nbsp; It has three trian=
gular brackets per side.&nbsp; One to the standard shock mount, the second i=
nside the body by the fuel tank, and the third in the wheel well area.&nbsp;=
 The first step in the instructions was to remove the fuel tank.<o:p></o:p><=
/span></p><p style=3D"normal;font-variant-caps: normal;orphans: 2;text-align=
:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width:
      0px;text-decoration-thickness: initial;text-decoration-style:
      initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing:0px"><span style=3D=
"color:black">I'd always avoid a shock that only bolts to the body.&nbsp; Th=
e dampening forces need to go to the frame.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p style=3D=
"normal;font-variant-caps: normal;orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-web=
kit-text-stroke-width:
      0px;text-decoration-thickness: initial;text-decoration-style:
      initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing:0px"><span style=3D=
"color:black">Brian<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"mar=
6/2020 8:34 AM, Will Daehler wrote:<o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote style=3D=
"margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt"><p class=3D"MsoNormal">When going ove=
r bumps in my TR4 I have quite a rattle from the right rear area of my car.&=
nbsp; I have poked around by the axle, and thought I have fixed the problem a=
 couple of times.&nbsp; I have replaced the springs and refilled the Armstro=
ng shocks.&nbsp; I have poked around. While looking through my Moss catalog I=
 noticed the kits for replacing the Armstrong shocks with these brackets tha=
t you could mount shock absorbers to. But the kits are NLS.&nbsp; No Longer S=
upplied.&nbsp; I was wondering why the kits &nbsp;were discontinued.&nbsp; I=
t could have been that they caused damage to the frame, or just didn=E2=80=99=
t work.&nbsp; I was hoping somebody had any first-hand knowledge or experien=
ce on this topic that they could discuss. I wonder if the racing group all h=
ave custom and proprietary set ups.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">&nb=
sp;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">Will Daehler<o:p></o:p></p><p class=
:p></o:p></p><pre>** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@aut=
ox.team.net</a> **<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre><pre>Donate: <=
a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a><o:p></o:p></pre><pre>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/tr=
iumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&nbsp; <a href=3D"http://w=
ww.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o=