Re: fatality at June Sprints

To: fastcars@home.com, alfasun@esslink.com
Subject: Re: fatality at June Sprints
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:45:06 -0400 (EDT)
     A quick comment on the thought about SVRA running "many of its enduros
with virtually all cars".
     That is not at all accurate.  Almost all of the SVRA enduros are set up
for compatible classes.  Small bore cars do not run with big production cars
(Camaros, Mustangs, etc.) and fast sports racers.
     I did run one SVRA "all comers" enduro several years ago but I don't
recall seeing such an arrangement for some time.  The noise and exhaust blast
from passing Camaros almost blew my 850cc Honda S800 right off the road!  The
speed of the Chevron B19s was even more awesome.  They would pass me at
incredible rates when I could swear I had just looked in my mirror and had
seen empty track.  If I saw a Chevron in my mirror, the next corner was his
no matter how far back he was.  Nothing bad happened, but I am not interested
in doing that again.
     Of course, huge speed differentials in endurance racing is certainly
nothing new.  It has always been part and parcel of endurance racing from Le
Mans to Sebring to the Mille Miglia (they even made the fast cars start last
there!)
     I am not saying that it should be done in vintage racing.  It creates a
danger which can and should be avoided.
      As for the new owner of SVRA, I understand that he has experience in a
variety of cars and classes right down to small bore production cars.  I
expect that he would be as sensitive and informed as anyone to the potential
dangers of mixing cars and classes.
     As a final disclaimer, none of the above is a comment on the June
Sprints fatality as I don't race SCCA and didn't witness the accident.  My
heart goes out to the friends and family of the deceased.  Regardless of the
circumstances that caused the accident, it is terrible tragedy.

     Doug Meis -  Team Escargot "Rub shoulders, not fenders"
     1967 Honda S800
     Inside every racers head: "...a little more power and get this beast to
handle better and I'll be kickin' some butt!"