Re: You too?

To: racecase@oneimage.com
Subject: Re: You too?
From: jarrid_gross@juno.com
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 17:24:08 EST
Andy Hiller wrote:

>> Happy holidays all.
>>
>> Hope you can offer some guidance.
>>
>> I'm on the British car list and Vintage Racing list, and I'm getting
>> more and more e-mail from Get-Rich-Quick sites, MLMers, porn sites,
>> E-mail list marketers, Etc.
>>
>> Is it just me?  Are our car lists the basis for this, or am I on
>> someone's list as extremely gullible and horny as well?
>>
>> Andy Hiller
>> '69 Elan
>> '70 Winkelmann FF

This has been the case on most of the list servers that I have been a
member
of.

The vintage-race group is not likely the source of your grief as only
members
can send messages, and the spammers can not.

This has gotten so bad lately on the Alpines listserver, that the "owner"
of the list set it up so that only members can send messages.
This seems to work for all but the most tanacious spammers, who scan
servers for the return e-mail addresses of the participants.
Many solve the above problem by setting the return address on their
e-mail system to have obviously bogus text in it.

EXAMPLE:        Joe_miller@NOSPAMIntel.com
instead of      Joe_miller@Intel.com

Jarrid Gross
61 Sunbeam Alpine