Re: Lodging for Monterey Historics

To: Ralph Edelbach <edelbach@tcnj.edu>
Subject: Re: Lodging for Monterey Historics
From: thomkuby@ridgecrest.ca.us (Thom Kuby)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 06:48:54 -0700 (PDT)
Ralph,
Forget it...the area is so oversold, it isn't funny.  Consider your self
lucky to find anything in Salinas (which is fairly close-assuming you're
not familiar with the area) at this late juncture.  I ended up in Gilroy at
a Best Western (three AAA stars) I don't have a problem driving into the
event when my room(s) are $80/night...By all means keep looking around, but
don't get your hopes up (and don't cancel what reservations you already
have!!!).  Theres a major Golf tournament happening about the same time as
the historics, plus everyone has jacked their room rates straight to the
moon (does anyone else smell a racket?).  Anything closer to Monterey than
Salinas for $100/night is really dreaming.  The average room (if
available-and thats a big if) is around 250-300/night-at least thats what I
ran into, when I made my arrangements.  The trick here is to make
arrangements at the event for NEXT years event...(or so it seems)

Good luck-enjoy the races!!
Thom Kuby