Re: Rules and 'Cheating'

To: Rogsie@telesistech.com, S800Racer@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Rules and 'Cheating'
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:45:49 EST
In a message dated 17/01/01 3:03:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Rogsie@telesistech.com writes:

That's another, and different, issue - many (most?) people now vintage racing
never raced in SCCA or CASC racing. Many of them are out there having a high
speed tour - I call them roving chicanes (RCs for short).

If you are one of the ones like me, that whenever it is safe to do so, and
whenever the competition is there, puts together a few laps of real racing,
great - I'd hope to see you out there.  I ran ICSCC and CASC for many years,
and still enjoy a real battle, but am able to put a reef or two in my sails
without much regret (something I'd have had a hard time doing in the old
days) if I come upon one of the RCs out having a good time (though usually
not paying much attention to his mirrors).

If you think that vintage racing is the same thing as regular racing, where
you have to be at absolute peak attention for a half an hour, running at the
ragged edge, not wasting a tenth of a second that you can help, I would
respond that I'm not sure I'd WANT to be out there while you are doing that
(too much like target shooting with kids and dogs running all over the range).

Just my opinion, and I do note the many guys that at least talk a serious
race, or like to think they are of a calibre that would do well at a
National. If you aren't, or haven't been, an SCCA type, ask one of the guys
that still runs _current_ SCCA, and also runs vintage,  what he thinks of
vintage some time. Just don't do it in front of the RCs - you wouldn't want
to hurt their feelings.

Bill S.