Re: Rules and 'Cheating'

To: John.Desantis@inficon.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rules and 'Cheating'
From: Tombread@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:42:16 EST
In a message dated 1/18/01 8:30:55 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
John.Desantis@inficon.com writes:

> Tom wrote
>
> "Ought to remove the incentive for cheating, wouldn't you think?  It isn't
> racing if it isn't legal."
>

>      If you really believe this, read Mark Donohue's book "The Unfair
> Advantage". Here is a man who rose to the top of our sport with the
> philosophy of making himself and his cars "BETTER" than the next guy.  He
> mentions going toe to toe with SCCA on rules several times as well, so he
> must not have been "within the rules" at all times.  Or may be he just bent
> the rules.
>
>      Is bending the rules the same as cheating?

I made my statement in the context of vintage racing, where the rewards are
mainly self satisfaction.  It cannot be particularly rewarding to cheat in
vintage.  That's a bit like cheating at solitaire.  Donahue was competing on
a decidedly different playing field.

Tom Butters
The Greens Fork Group
Creative Communications Services