Re: Pan Evac

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pan Evac
From: "David R. Mapes" <dmapes@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 22:44:07 -0400
Hi John,

        While I don't have a '67 or '72 GCR in front of me,
I'd hazard to gues that there would be too great of a chance
of putting oil down on the track for this to get past tech
(brittish cars not withstanding <BFG>).  If you really HAVE
to run a negitive pressure crankcase you could use a pcv valve
and otherwise sealed engine to pull a vacume on the system
and keep it there.  This would be worth 5-7 HP according to
dyno resluts for my 306 Ford motor, and better oil control as
long as you don't have nay issues with slow drain back from
the heads.

At 12:14 PM 5/15/03 -0400, you wrote:
>My engine builder is trying to talk me into using a pan evac system on my
>66 Mustang 289.
>The pan evac uses pressure pulsations in the header to pull a vacuum on the
>valve covers.
>This sounds like a great way to deal with blow by the rings.
>
>Anyone have any experience with this?  Is this common or even legal in
>vintage?

All the Best!  Dave  ;^)
'66 Formula S Barracuda, CP/Vinatage (GoldFish)
'66 C code Mustang Coup, CP (Ol'Beastly)
'91 Sundance, HS (150,000 miles and counting)
'97 Cherokee
Lame Horse Racing
College Park, MD
http://www.erols.com/dmapes/