Re: Pan Evac

To: lwdent@fwi.com
Subject: Re: Pan Evac
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:32:43 EDT
In a message dated 5/19/03 12:16:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lwdent@fwi.com
writes:

> Jack, don't think you have your head screwed on the right direction on
> this one.
>
> Something like this violates both the spirit and letter of the rules as
> in the GCR of the period. Again, going back to my earlier note to the
> group, show me where the good book says this is permissible.
>
> Incidentally, the "spirit"of the rules do not count for anything in
> proper rules enforcement.  It is what the rule says, NOT what someone,
> anyone, thinks it really means to say.

Larry,

My head isn't attached with screws like yours is so it can't be put on wrong.

These pan evacs have been around for a long time and usually are more trouble
than effective. I don't have the desire or time to worry about this sort of
thing. Our tech addresses safety and major specification enforcement. I
personally deal with incorrect specifications. Our rules are published and we
enforce
them. They are based on SCCA period rules but we have made reasonable
exceptions for a number of reasons. We also allow legitimate FIA
specifications. The
exact interpretation is subjective, not BLACK AND WHITE.

In Vintage Racing there certainly is a "Spirit" of the rules component.
Without it, the "Period" rules are full of major loopholes. A prime example
would
be the tire issue. Check your books and see what tires you could run if you
went simply "by the book".

Jack Woehrle