Re: 1275 Bugeyes

To: <vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1275 Bugeyes
From: "Peter L. Krause" <pkrause@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 01:33:47 -0400
David,

The VIR Gold Cup Historic Races, presented by Berry Hill, is now in it's
fourth year. It goes from strength to strength, with attendance rising every
year (already have 175 cars three weeks before the event, with 70 MGs!!) We
are not accepting Bugeyes with 1275 engines for this year's event. We did
not in 2000 and 2001, but we did in 2002 because of the Austin-Healey
Feature.

I was hired as the Competition Chair for the Gold Cup because I have
substantial experience and significant history both in SCCA and in vintage
racing. I was the SVRA Group 1 (small bore) Group Representative for four
years between 1991 and 1994. I've won the BMW Cup at Lime Rock in 1991, the
SVRA Professional Mechanic Award in 1993 and the Vintage Motorsport "Spirit
of Vintage Racing" award in 1997. I was a significant contributor to the
rules and specifications of VDCA in the beginning, I have taught for Skip
Barber, BMWCCA Club Racing and been the Chief Instructor and Licensing
Chairman for the North Carolina Region of the SCCA for thirteen years. I was
the Chief Instructor for SVRA between 1994 and 2001 and serve currently in
that position. I say this not to brag, but to give you an idea of my
historical background and credentials.

I can tell you that the SCCA, which I, Jack Woerhle (SVRA), SOVREN, CSRG and
a number of others use as historical precedent, have never recognized the
1275 engine in a Bugeye (Mk I) A-H Sprite, then or now, as a legitimate
configuration. The square body car is a different matter. If your club does,
fine. Live and let live...

As an attendee and a delegate to several VMC meetings over the last decade
and a half, I know that you are mistaken when you assume that VMC member
clubs will accept a non-conforming (to the home club) car on a one-time
exemption. This ONLY applies to licensing, period, and is a courtesy
extended so that VMC member club's members may "taste" another club (with a
conforming car) one time before ponying up the membership fee for a
different club.

The VIR Motorsports Country Club is the sanctioning body for this event, and
has applied for associate membership in the VMC (much as the Meadowbrook
Historic, Portland Historic, Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix and other on-off
marquee events do) and says in their supplementary regulations that they
specifically encourage VMC license holders. Read the rules!

David, I'm sorry that we are not as liberal as your home club, even if it is
a VMC member club AND the chair IS the President of the VMC, Art
Summerville. I don't apologize for not accepting these cars that are an
expedient solution and not historically based. Thanks for entering the Gold
Cup, see you in a couple of weeks. I'd be glad to engage in constructive
debate over a Bass ale!

-Peter Krause (at Summit Point this weekend supporting the Jefferson 500)