Re: 1275 Bugeyes, 2.0l + Alfa's - Stirring the Pot

To: <MHKitchen@aol.com>
Subject: Re: 1275 Bugeyes, 2.0l + Alfa's - Stirring the Pot
From: "Steve Schaeffer" <borrani@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 23:03:02 -0700
See what happens when a non-Alfa guy speaks up?  I can tell you that the 2.0
motor appeared in Alfas in the '72 model year, maybe late '71, but past the
cutoff rules of most vintage orgs.  1968 and 1970 were famine years for USA
alfisti, no cars officially sold those years here due to emissions
regulations.  Alfa beat the emissions regs in 1969 by incorporating their
SPICA mechanical fuel injection system.  Every '69 Alfa in the USA had a
1750 motor with SPICA.  Every GTV, Super, and Spider model in '67 would have
a 1600cc motor as its largest motor, with a 1300cc motor in the Junior
labeled models.  Twin weber 40's standard.  4 wheel disc brakes and 5 speed
transmissions standard, too, I might add.

I don't have the GCR's in front of me, so I don't know if the '69 1750 was
allowed to race with its stock fuel injection system.

The '67 GTV/GTA were the last with the 'step-nose', twin headlight front
end, the '69's went to a smooth nose, four headlight front end.  SOVREN
keeps it as they should, step nosed cars cannot run a 1750.  '69's can run
1750's, not 2000's, and injection or webers.

There is quite a difference between the Alfa 1600 and 1750.  The 1600 has a
bore and stroke of 78x82mm, while the 1750 is 80x88.5mm.  That long stroke
really can be felt.  Note that a '1600' displaces 1567cc, while the '1750'
displaces 1779cc.

My '65 GTA runs with a 1600, which is they way they won so many
championships back in the day.

Cheers!

Steve Schaeffer
Seattle, WA
SOVREN

<snip>

> Guys are running 2.0liter + motors with carbs.  Alfa's first came with
2.0L
> motors in '69, but with fuel injection, I believe...yet there are an
> ABUNDANCE of >1750 Alfa GTVs (and variants..Sprint Veloce's, etc.).
>
> My personal view is that a 1750 is as big as you should be able to legally
> run with carbs...2.0L + should be year appropriate and run fuel injection.
> Just my 2 cents worth.  I should note that there's some damn fast ones out
> there running 1300's, 1600's, and 1750's, however.
>
> CSRG has allowed such variants but is cracking down.  CSRG's cutoff year
is
> '67, but they allow newer "continuation" cars, like the GTV.  Thus a '69
GTV