Re: 1275 Bugeyes

To: pkrause@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: 1275 Bugeyes
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 14:43:27 GMT
Peter,

--- "Peter L. Krause" <pkrause@attglobal.net> wrote:
>I say this not to brag, but to give you an idea of my
>historical background and credentials.

No introduction is necessary, your reputation certainly precedes you!

>As an attendee and a delegate to several VMC meetings over the last >decade
>and a half, I know that you are mistaken when you assume that >VMC member
>clubs will accept a non-conforming (to the home club) car >on a one-time
>exemption.

I know I didn't make this up, but perhaps I misinterpreted someone else's
misinterpretation.  Anyone else ever get this impression?  VMC has little
website information.  As I intended to ask in my original email, I'm interested
in how far this goes, if anywhere.

>I don't apologize for not accepting these cars that are an expedient >solution
>and not historically based.

No apology was requested nor expected!  I'm not attempting to debate the issue
and if you read my original email I think you'll see that my point wasn't to
question your decision.  On the contrary, I find it very hard to disagree with
your reasoning.  I don't drive a 1275 Bugeye, but I have some friends that do.
We've been talking about going to some distant events together at other tracks,
and it helps to know where they can't go.  This is a VERY confusing aspect of
vintage racing.  Even in your own Participant Information for the Gold Cup you
indicate the "basic rule is" you would accept vehicles sanctioned by a long
list of organizations, several of which allow the 1275 Bugeye, as we have
found.  I recognize the wording and I'm not arguing that you should allow them,
I'm just pointing out how difficult it is to figure out where we can plan on
going without applying to every single event for admission.  Frankly, I thought
the VMC guideline (as I apparently misunderstood it) was an elegant solution to
this problem.  Now I guess we're back (or still at) square one.

>Thanks for entering the Gold
>Cup, see you in a couple of weeks. I'd be glad to engage in >constructive
>debate over a Bass ale!

Well, I'm not the one to debate the 1275 Bugeye question, but I'm sure we can
find something to drink a beer over.  But it will have to be an Old Speckled
Hen and I'm buying!!!

David Littlefield
--Heading out this afternoon to TWS for a CVAR event