Re: 1275s in Bugeyes

To: dmeadow@juno.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1275s in Bugeyes
From: Ralph Steinberg <ralph@cloverleaf-auto.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 07:25:23 -0400
At 03:58 PM 5/15/2003 +0000, dmeadow@juno.com wrote:
>A friend of mine just had a Bugeye rejected for the Gold Cup Historics at
>VIR because it has a 1275 in it.
>
>I'm told that the SCCA never sanctioned 1275s in Bugeyes, so they are not
>vintage eligible.  Peter Krause made the decision to reject this car and
>apparently a few others.  I can certainly understand his reasoning, and it
>is certainly his prerogative.
>
>I'm not arguing his decision, I'm just curious how sanctioning bodies are
>looking at this.  Peter indicates that some east coast bodies either have
>or are considering banning them.  I know they are "legal" in CVAR,
>although a body point deduction is assessed against them and they run in
>FP.  There are numerous RMVR bugeyes I've seen with 1275s so I assume they
>are accepted there.  I don't know what the left coasties do.
>
>Will VMC member organizations that might otherwise disallow them accept
>them under the "1 race a year guest" status from another VMC member
>organization that accepts them?
>
>One reason I ask is that I have a couple of friends with these cars and we
>often talk of traveling to other events together.  It would be good to
>know if there are limitations as to where we could go.
>
>David Littlefield
>MG Midget vintage racecar

   I have rejected a number of 1275 Bugeyes for the Pittsburgh Vintage
Grand Prix. Not only on the performance side but I have yet to see a 1275
that did not also have large fender flares, fat tires, etc. If you give a
Bugeye the performance boost you get with a 1275 none of the other stock
parts of the car will hold up and now we have a car that has nothing to do
with being a Bugeye. A properly set up Bugeye with a the correct size
engine, less than 1 liter, is always at the top of it's class with a 1275
in it and the rest of the enhancements that go with it you have a car that
nips on the heels and passes the big bore cars!

>Ralph Steinberg

President
Cloverleaf Auto Service Inc
260 Bridgewater Road