Re: 1275s in Bugeyes

To: dmeadow@juno.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1275s in Bugeyes
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 14:59:03 EDT
In a message dated 5/15/03 9:02:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time, dmeadow@juno.com
writes:

> Will VMC member organizations that might otherwise disallow them accept them
> under the "1 race a year guest" status from another VMC member organization
> that accepts them?

To all:

Apparently all of the interested parties have reached a consensus on this
subject while I was away. Sorry I missed it.

PK is correct when saying that there is no VMC policy that addresses cars
that are legal in one club but not another being accepted "once a year."
There are many reasons such a policy does not exist. Primary is that VMC
member clubs embrace a vast array of philosophies. I believe no club would
agree to have unacceptable entries forced on them in such a manner.

It is my observation that where you see 1275cc Bugeyes you usually find lax
or no enforcement rather than rules that permit them. I know of no
organization that actually allows in writing such a configuration. The same
is true for 1798cc MGA's, 350cid Camaros, 2.3L Chevrons, et al.

Most organizations, including SVRA, make exceptions occasionally. Sometimes
for good and sometimes for bad reasons. I have made more than my share of Bad
Exceptions. However, I have made many exceptions that have had positive
results as well. I will say that Peter Krause, Doug Meis and Jack Lewis all
have their heads "screwed on" the same way mine is. I know there are others
in similar positions who have the same vision.

There is a definite trend reversal of the out of control spiral Vintage
Racing was on several years ago. This does not mean that all organizations
will ever have exactly the same standards, but I do see a new level of desire
for the various groups to seek common and reasonable acceptance criterion.

Jack Woehrle
SVRA