Re: GM starter no restart when "hot" repair?

To: cfchrist@earthlink.net, jimcowan@autoappraisals.com,
Subject: Re: GM starter no restart when "hot" repair?
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:46:30 EDT
In a message dated 4/19/2005 3:49:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
cfchrist@earthlink.net writes:

<<<it was an old trick to stand your collection of
solenod  plunger springs on end and always pick the "shortest" spring when
building  starters for what was then referred to as a "high torque" starter.
funny as  it had nothing to do with the length of the armature or fields
wich "could"  effect actual torque.    before the light weight racing
starters  became available comercially another trick if space allowed was
using a  diesel starter field coil housing and armature on a standard nose
for high  torque with a hard to start (lots of advance dialed in!) GM V8.
those starters weigh a small ton but would crank over in hot  start
situations when lots of compression and advance were effecting a  standard
starter's ability to spin a motor fast enough to catch and  run.   ;)>>>>

OK guys. Now that we know who knows all the GM starter tricks, please  help
me with a related subject.

I have a 454 Suburban that likes a little more advance than over the  counter
starters can reliably crank. If I set the advance where I get the best
pulling power, sometimes on hot restarts the starter doesn't have the grunt to
get
it turning over. If I back the distributor off a couple of degrees it  cranks
fine.

I have busted a starter trying to get as close to the sweet spot as I  can.

I have always thought a distributor with a little more advance would  work
but haven't actually looked for one.

Now I wonder if I just need a stouter starter. How can I tell a good  one
from a weak one, or build a better one?

Is the Olds 455 starter the one to get? I certainly can change the  snout.
Isn't there a HD unit for the 454? I thought that is what I have been  getting
from the parts store. I hate to get a racing high torque starter  simply
because it is nice to get parts in Podunk. That is where I always beak  down.

Jack Woehrle