Fwd: Re: 74 EGR valve removal/replacement

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: 74 EGR valve removal/replacement
From: edwin.mcguirk@db.com
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 17:19:46 -0400

That was the first thing I thought of when I read the original post but it
sounds different enough to likely be something else. I purchased a new set
of Strombergs a few years ago and immediately noticed the same problem. The
revs took a while longer than usual to drop back to normal. You can plug
the bypass valves but there is an easier way. The valves work by popping
open at a certain vacuum. They will not allow any higher vacuum so the revs
drop slowly while the air is being bypassed. There is a spring that holds
the valve shut and if you open the valve you will see a "nut or bolt" in a
six sided well. You can simply rotate it forward a few turns and the spring
will then hold the valve shut to a higher vacuum. This way the valve still
works and you can choose how fast you want the revs to drop and how much
you want to pollute while decelerating. (count your turns and you will be
able to put it back the way it was easily)

Ed McGuirk
76 TR6
86 Rx7
88 MR2 Supercharged