Triple strombergs and Rimmer Exhaust

To: 6Pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Triple strombergs and Rimmer Exhaust
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 12:51:56 -0700 (PDT)
Well, it's been about 4 weeks and over 1000 miles since I installed the
triple stromberg system and Rimmer single 2.25" stainless exhaust
system.  A few of you wanted to know how it all worked out once
completed, so here goes.

The triple strombergs are a beautiful system.  The manifolds alone are
a work of art, very nicely made by Good.  The directions were very
detailed and easy to follow.  Everything bolted up perfectly.  I had
some linkage problems in the beginning, mostly due to the fact that my
accelerator pedal shaft bushings were completely missing.  After
installing new ones and refining the linkage a bit, everything works
great.  The car pulls very hard and runs great.  This engine has all
the components that Good has in his dynoed engine, so horsepower should
match his at 170 hp.  My only trouble now is idle, the carbs must be
rich on idle, and the car stalls out after a little while if I don't
blip the throttle occassionally.

The Rimmer exhaust is great too.  I picked it up last year during their
free shipping promo.  For about $400, I got a beautifully made
stainless header, 2.25" stainless exhaust pipe, and stainless "straight
through" sport muffler.  I had the header coated by a Jet Hot
competitor (High Performance Coatings) for $165.  Again, everything
fitted wonderfully.  I had a Monza header before, and that was a b!%$h
to fit.  I had to dent it all over the place to clear intake manifold
and chassis.  This header fitted great, but interfered with the stock
intake manifold in one spot, which is why I got the triple stromberg
manifold kit.  I probably could have done a bit of grinding on the
stock intake and put a very small ding in the header pipe to get
clearance, but I couldn't pass up the triple carb setup!  The exhaust
sound is great.  It is quiet but still aggressive, MUCH better than
Monzas.  It doesn't droan, just sounds nice in the background.  By far
the best muffler I've ever heard on a TR6.  The tip is nicely polished
stainless, and comes out and up towards the rear bumper at an angle
just like the stock system and other aftermarket exhausts for TR6.  My
only complaint is that there is only one tip, the 4 tips of the Monza
look a lot better!

I'm getting about 20 mpg city and 27 mgp highway with this setup.  I
also installed an O2 sensor in the header and an air/fuel ratio gauge
in the cockpit.  The only problem is, the gauge is very sensitive.  I
have it wired to the top fuse in the fuse box, sharing the circuit with
brake lights, turn signals, wipers, etc.  If I hit the brakes, turn on
wipers, etc., the gauge drops.  It works with 13 LED lights.  The first
section is orange lean lights, the second section is green stoich
lights, and the third section is red rich lights.  The gauge will read
stoich, but when I hit the turn a turn signal on, it drops to lean each
time the blinker blinks.  Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

Let me know if you have any questions.  Hope everyone is enjoying the
summery weather.  It's 95+ here in Philly today, I'm going to be
sweating the whole ride home!  At times like these, I wish I had A/C.

Tim Holbrook

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com