RE: Wheel noise

To: 6 pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wheel noise
From: Dale Morgan <tpdwinch@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 17:27:41 -0700 (PDT)
  John

  Two things come to mind on your wheel noise.

  First: Are you using after market wheels?  If so any
plate or hubs usually do not fit well or have great
attachment points.  This usually is a source of noise
as you go down the road. My daughter's car had a
similar noise on one wheel.  A piece of foam tape
placed on the cover plate at various points eliminated
the noise.

  Second: Check your u-joints on the axle on that
side. Put the car on stands, hold the axle with one
hand and try to turn the wheel with the other.  If you
have a lot of movement in your wheel then it is a good
sign that your joints need replaced.  I had one axle
that made a noise and tried the above suggestion.
Very little movement was noted.  I had joints that
could be greased and filled them, the noise went away
for a short while.  Upon removing the joints I
discovered they were flat spotted in one area on both
joints.  After replacement the noise went awway.

  Hope this helps.

=====
tpdwinch@yahoo.com
Dale Morgan