RE: RE: Wheel noise

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net.'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: RE: Wheel noise
From: "Riddle, Mark" <riddlem@ciitech.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:21:28 -0400
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 15:45:06 -0400
From: "Riddle, Mark" <riddlem@ciitech.com>
Subject: RE: Wheel noise

John,
Several years ago on an Asian vehicle, I had the same problem, and I finally
tracked it down to the plastic hub cap flexing, as the wheel rotated under
load. Although the "6" doesn't have a full hub cap, it does have trim ring,
and the small center cap. It may not be the source, but when the wheel,
rotating under load, flexes, the springs in the trim pieces can "tick" as
you described. to check if this may be the source try removing both the trim
ring and the center trim from the offending wheel and see if the "tick" goes
away. If this proves to be the culprit, sometimes a spot of lube on the
offending spring takes care of this. If not there may be the possibility of
the wheel itself flexing and the noise being magnified by the structure of
the wheel itself-(minute cracks in the mounting area of the rim)??

may not be the cause but it is worth a try.

Mark Riddle
'72 TR-6