Re: J-TYPE overdrive

To: "'DMD757CAPT@aol.com'" <DMD757CAPT@aol.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: J-TYPE overdrive
From: Grego Sanguinetti <grego@accelerant.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:57:32 -0700
"Couzelis,William M.(NXI)" wrote:

> When I bought my 71TR6 3 years ago, I was told that the transmission had
> been rebuilt.  In fact, I saw the $1,200 receipt for it.  Last year the 3rd
> gear syncro started to go.  I'm avoiding it by just downshifting to second
> from fourth, but it sounds like a problem area.  Good luck.
> Bill

If you are having problems down shifting into a gear
you can always double clutch and match revs.
By double clutching, I mean shift into neutral, release the clutch
then reclutch to shift into the next gear, effectively engaging
neutral in between each gear.
By matching revs, I mean when you push in the clutch, blip
the throttle and feel your way into the next gear as the revs
drop. When down shifting this usually requires you to blip
the throttle at the same time you are applying the brake.
I had to reshape my pedal arms to place the brake pedal
in the proper location for me the operate both with the same foot.

I have owned a number of old cars and trucks that had
either no syncros in the first two gears or no syncros at all
(called "crash boxes").

-grego