Gauges-Tires-Rims

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Gauges-Tires-Rims
From: mjmullin@juno.com
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:28:14 -0400
Hi all:

To Red Hansen - I'm certain that most British cars of our era came with
Lucas amp gauges, you're not the first to mistakenly go in search of a
Smiths amp gauge.  The Lucas one is correct.

To Bob Hill - The Dunlop  D 60 A2 tire is good for a 4 -season (mud and
snow rated) tire,  I tend to advise people who want performance and who
don't drive in the snow to get a 3-season tire such as the Yoko AVS
Intermediate or the Pirelli P6000 (different from the the P6000 Sport
Veloce, which IS mud and snow rated).  4-season tires are required to
have a certain number of silts (called sipes) for better snow traction,
and are therefore, more squirmy.  Their tread compound is also
compromised for better cold weather performance.  As Dick mentioned,
there's not much of a choice besides touring/passenger tires for the
205/70 crowd.  If you want a smooth and comfortable ride, go for the
touring tires.  The Tire Rack website has an excellent searchable
database.  FWIW, I've found that the Tire Rack sales people almost always
recomend Bridgestone tires (big markup?).  If you want sticky tires, try
to go for the ones with the lowest UTQG treadwear rating.  DOT race tires
are between 00 and 60, 3-season tires tend to fall between 160 and 300,
and touring tires tend to be rated 360, 420, even as high as 500 and 600.

My question - someone had recently mentioned that either early or late
tire rims were prone to radial cracking around the wheel stud holes.
Which were the early rims?  The Dunlops (identified by numbers on the
face of the rim, including the Dunlop "D" logo followed by 981, rim
dimension numbers, etc.), or the Sankey rim (with no rim face markings,
except for the word Sankey with rim dimension numbers on the rim area
which are only visible with the tire dismounted)?  My spare tire rim is a
Dunlop and has these cracks, which were exposed only after the paint was
stripped off.  I do know that the rim was autocrossed on prior to my
inheriting it from the Commandant of the Black Rear Valance Enforcement
Agency.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Mullin, 6-PACK Chairman