Re: TR6 Brake Master Cylinder rebuild

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Brake Master Cylinder rebuild
From: Michael Graham <mgraham@achilles.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:45:41 -0400
Hi Steve

I just rebuilt the master in my 73 last week. Do you mean the large "dust
cover" that goes over the big washer on the push rod? The rebuild kit that
I purchased had a foil envelop that contained a red grease. With that on
the rubber boot it slid relatively easily over the big washer on the
plunger. I don't think this rubber boot has any role in retaining fluid,
that job is done by the seal on the piston. If you are getting leaking,
perhaps the bore of the cylinder is scored or pitted letting fluid leak
past the seal. Please let me know if you have any other questions or I can
help in any other way. I don't think boiling would be a good idea in any case.

Cheers, Mike Graham
73 TR6

At 11:34 AM 26/10/00 -0700, you wrote:

>I've taken my master cylinder apart. The rear seal is a major pain to put
>on.  Last time I did this I boiled the seal to loosen it up enough to
>stretch over the big part of the plunger.  Functionally the brakes work on
>all seals but the rear seal is leaking which happens to be the only part I
>boiled last time. Could the boiling process on the previous job have
>anything to do with this? I'm sort of reluctant to do the boiling trick as
>that is the only part that failed.  Should I boil it in a sealed bag this
>time.  Any suggestions of alternate ways to get the seal on would be very
>welcome.
>
>PS-  The last rebuild job lasted 2 years on dot3 brake fluid.  This time I
>will use silicone fluid.

Michael Graham: mgraham@achilles.net
Tel: 613-258-2901; Fax: 613-258-1819