Re: Fire

To: "6pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fire
From: vze2846b <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 16:55:56 -0400
Kerry,

I'm sorry to hear about the fire, glad the car (and you) are OK.

I replaced the harness in my 250 this past winter and found it was an
easy job.  However, five hours seems a little short considering that you
need to remove and replace the dash.

My primary advice is to buy numbered wire labels from an electrical
supply house.  I used these on all the wires behind the dash.  Before
removing anything, I drew a diagram of the dash with all the electrical
connections.  I then numbered the wires and wrote the appropriate number
on the diagram.

The old harness was removed and laid next to the new unit.  I then
labeled the new harness to match the old and installed it in the car.

There are far fewer connections under the bonnet and I didn't want the
wire labels to show so I just made good notes on wire colors and worked
from the notes.

Finally, I use an electric fan as backup in warm weather.  While I had
the harness out, I ran an additional wire from the dash connections up to
where the horn wires exit the harness.  Using a non-adhesive black tape
from Eastwood, I wrapped this wire into the harness.  Now I have power to
my fan and the wiring still looks stock.

Good luck.

Peter Macholdt
'68 TR250

Peter Macholdt