Re: Top Cover Cups

To: fattr6@hotmail.com (Todd Bermudez)
Subject: Re: Top Cover Cups
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:08:38 -0800 (PST)
Todd---It's possible to change the O-rings
in the selector shafts without removing the "buckets" that restrain the
springs and balls under them. The problem with doing it this way I think
is more bother than it's worth.  I recomend drilling out the buckets
with a 3/8" bit and replacing them with new ones. This method puts the
preload back on the selectors as it was before. You could also drill out
the buckets and drill and tap for 7/16" set screws, but this also can
lead to more work than necessary. One advantage in using set screws is
that you can customize the amount of pull required to select the gears,
by adjusting the depth of the screws. Sometimes cutting of the spring
would be necessary to lighten it up more.

For more details on this, refer to the 6PACK Summer 2001 Newsletter,
under ...More on Clutches...

Dick Taylor
CF11143