Re: A type overdrive help

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A type overdrive help
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:23:55 -0500
Hi Mark,

These brackets are easily broken; they were broken on the first two A ODs I
acquired.  I think most are broken during gearbox installation or removal,
either when the solenoid is used as a handle or becomes wedged against the
floor panel.  I tried to have both of mine welded, even made a jig to hold
everything straight but they still came out slightly warped.

I finally had my daughter pick up a couple replacements from Rimmer Brothers
when she was in UK on business.  Last time I checked, TRF didn't have any
but Moss and VB did for ~$80.  You might call Moss UK  ( 011 44 208 867
2020).  I ordered some other OD parts from Moss UK at prices lower than in
US and they shipped air post for ~ $6 and I got it in 4 days.  These parts,
while fairly small, weighted more than that cover plate.  Moss UK uses the
original Triumph Part numbers.  The TRF TR6 catalogue shows that part as the
Bracket Assembly, solenoid, part # 502566.  Others call this part the cover
plate.  You would also need a gasket number 500645.  I just looked up the
Moss UK price for 502566---58.69 --- I assume that is in UK pounds so that
would translate to about $42.

The oil behind the bracket/cover plate is not under pressure.  However,
there is considerable force on the bracket/cover plate from the accumulator
spring.  I've had success sealing OD and gearbox leaks using  Hylomar HPF
Gasket & Flange Sealer by Permatex, available from local auto parts stores.

Another suggestion ---- park the car in the neighbors driveway.  As soon as
you fix the gearbox leak, the engine or differential will start leaking.

Good luck

 Nelson Riedel
Granville Ohio
'68TR250, '70TR6, '76TR6