Re: exhaust recommendations??? Long..

To: rpatton@clinic.net (Rick Patton)
Subject: Re: exhaust recommendations??? Long..
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 20:39:11 -0800 (PST)
Rick, Dave, Mitch, Mike, Wylan, and the boys...

Never one to leave things alone, I had the local muffler shop give me a
custom look. Two chromed pipes that extend to the bumper's edge, each
directly below the backup lights, tilted up to avoid scraping. I still
have the two original exhaust pipes that end at the hanger by the rh
trailing arm. From there, these two pipes go into one larger 2 1/4"
pipe, then back into a "Y". The Y goes immediately into two pipes again.
One side ells  into the muffler, the other goes into a short, flanged
pipe, then into a chromed tip on the right side. If you've followed this
so far, this same 'straight thru' side, being double flanged,  permits a
baffle plate that can be inserted, to restrict and/or alter the sound
coming out of this one side. This also means that when completely
restricted, as with a solid plate between the (bolted together) flanges,
all exhaust must then exit the side with the muffler on it. As you can
tell, I can now run with a wide open system, or thru a muffler, or
anywhere in between. It takes about five minutes to change the size of
'hole' on the "open" side of the exhaust. (Jeez, a picture sure would've
come in handy here.)

Now to answer some questions.. Yes, 90 deg. bends would be required to
get into and out of the muffler. Since this muffler is only 14" long,
there's room for it. It still sits sideways as the original muffler.

One straight pipe coming from a header should work nicely.

There is no resonance at any speed. At least not with my configuration.
It obviously gets louder with speed. It does not overpower the sound of
wind, normally heard.
 I typically run with a 1/2" opening in the plate on the side that can
be adjusted. The back pressure surplus goes over to the muffler. Running
it straight thru means the muffler side does practically nothing, the
exhaust taking the path of lesser resistance. This is quite loud, and I
rarely run is way. OK, maybe at an autocross. (None of the competition
packed up because of this)

The Camero muffler may be too wide. Most muffler shops stock these, so
it would be easy to hold one up to see. I don't know if one side of a
Corvette muffler is oval enough so as to not hang down too far.
Personally, I don't like to see much muffler.

Custom work is common for any good muffler shop. You can get a lot of
neat touches for $mall change.

Dick T.
'73