RE: adjusting valves

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: adjusting valves
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 10:28:02 -0700

Happy holidays to all,

Here is what I do to turn the motor (this is from memory as I haven't done
it for a while):
- put gearbox in neutral
- remove all spark plugs
- put a 7/8" socket on your ratchet
- place socket on large nut at front of alternator and turn

Using this method, I find the motor turns quite freely. It's possible to
properly position the motor to do whatever you are working on (ie. valves,
distributor timing, etc.). If you require the drive train to move also, then
put the gearbox in 4th gear and lift one of the rear wheels off the ground
while turning the alternator.

BTW, it seems my motor likes to be turned in this manner more in one
direction than the other. I can't recall which is the easier. But in the
easier direction I have no problems. In the more difficult direction the
alternator belt slips and the motor does not turn nearly as freely. So try
reversing the ratchet if the alternator belt is slipping.

HTH.

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO